Save & Share

Bookmark and Share

Friday, June 27, 2008

Child prodigy - A blessing or a curse?

Have you heard people saying so and so is a genius - he plays piano at 3 years old? Or, so and so is composing music at 5 years old. Is child prodigy a blessing or a curse? Why are the general public so amazed by what a younger child can accomplish?
Just the other day I was browsing through youtube and watching kids play piano - there are not just 1 or 2 video clips put up by the parents, they are tons of video clips titled music prodigy. Many of these video clips are lovely - I enjoy watching younger children playing music and express their passion. Yet, I am annoyed with the idea of parents pushing the kids so much that they want the kids to excel in piano playing in order to complete the parents' unfulfilled musical dream.

I strongly believe a child needs to have a normal kid's life - just like any young children in their neighborhood. Yes, a child may show interests in specific activities - that does not mean they need to be pushed so far into practicing the activities 8 hours a day.

Here are a few video clips that I enjoy watching on youtube, I think the kids and their parents have done a marvellous job:


Here is an impressive one (I would need to practice hard to play like that):

If you like my blog - feel free to sign up for my piano playing techniques and newsletter (free).
piano lessons

No comments: